Reporting to the Managing Director, Head of Events is responsible for overseeing the logistics, delivery and production of the Don’t Panic event portfolio of 60+ events / £2.5m turnover both in the UK & Internationally, whilst managing a team comprising of one Senior, four Event Managers & two executives. Pivotal in the day-to-day running of the agency, ensuring all internal departments meet deadlines and requirements.
Event Team Leadership
- Responsible for managing the events team including senior event managers, event managers and event executives. Conducting weekly 1 to 1’s looking at project status, client reports & budgets
- Responsible for motivation and development of the events team and ensuring individual’s projects commercial success
- Responsible for the increased delivery standards & procedures ensuring an effective smooth delivery process
- Conduct appraisals, setting yearly goals & 3-month reviews
- Ensuring a training and development programme is in place for each team member
- Supervise the quality and standards of work across the events team and their duties
- Train junior members of the team in effective event delivery
- Produce and manage the TAP plan & annual resource plan
- Ensure all KO & project plans are created and milestones met
- Full overview & sign-off of portfolio’s AV, entertainment & host options
- Full overview & sign-off of branding costs / requirements
- Chair & manage judging sessions where needed
- On-site event management & sense check
- Produce largest shows & assist with health and safety including the preparation of Risk Assessment Method Statements, Event Plans, Emergency Procedures as required
- Monitor & manage event budgets across portfolio ensuring on track to hit target and spot projects failing or that need additional resource.
- Manage effective post event evaluation with all client and Don’t Panic events to ensure effective continuous improvement
- Supervise, direct and co-ordinate the activities of staff, subcontractors and participants as required to successfully execute all aspects of the event in the planning and execution of the event
- Produce post event evaluation reports and meet with clients and sponsors as required to review events and secure future bookings
Senior Leadership Team
- Attend monthly Senior Leadership Team Meetings to report on the portfolio, events & team
- To pro-actively take forward SLT related key strategic objectives
- To be an active member of the senior leadership team contribute to business planning, business development and strategy
- Attend weekly Interdepartmental project meetings across the portfolio
- Working with the Sales Manager and sense check the departments resourcing weekly to ensure correct projects are getting the attention needed
- Working with the Sales Manager to maximize income through ticket sales, entry fees and sponsorship
- Work closely with the Creative Director to manage the ongoing events calendar ensuring events are launched with appropriate and achievable lead times
- Work closely with the FD & MD to create profit targets for portfolio
- Responsible for supplier management & negotiations where applicable
- Supervise and manage the creation and distribution of event briefing document
- Annual Portfolio Profit management (monitoring, reporting)
Individual Job Specific
- Account direction of the exhibitions & larger accounts such as Prolific North, PRmoment, SEMrush & the Search Branded events.
- Responsible for the implementation of new owned event ideas into the portfolio, to ensure they logistically fit and fall when resource can allow to reduce risk / staffing costs
- Sign-off for portfolio’s timelines & suggest prices to MD for approval.
- Responsible for the co-ordination of the creation of proposals: ideas, materials, on occasions budgets & actual proposals in MD’s absence.
- Responsible for checking proposals.
- Attend New business meetings / pitches where applicable.
- Responsible for account growth through year-on year-increases, re-
quoting post de-brief.
- Managing ongoing client liaison and personally managing key accounts as agreed with the MD
- Deliver high quality levels of customer service in keeping with the Don’t Panic brand and ethos
- Work closely with clients / the Don’t Panic team to define event objectives and create and deliver appropriate event solutions
- Chair top-level client meetings.
- To accurately complete time sheets on a weekly basis
- Supervise and manage event bookings, ticket sales and registration to ensure a seamless delegate booking experience, accurate records and provide high levels of delegate liaison
- Work with clients / Don’t Panic team to create compelling, engaging content, sourcing speakers as required
- Manage the production of presentations and scripts to ensure professional event delivery
- University degree or relevant work experience
- 5+ years events experience
- Proven negotiating skills
- An understanding of the digital industry
- Ability to develop professional relationships in all aspects of the position, resulting in stable, consistent, reliable and courteous communications with all parties
- Ability to multi task across numerous complex projects with varied deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and work independently
- Excellent organisational, planning and project management skills
- Proven ability to take direction
- Proven ability to prepare accurate budgets and manage expenditure
- The ability to present and pitch for new business
- High level of written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Solid business acumen, management, leadership and problem-solving skills
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office
- Effective time management skills
- Driving license and own car (mileage allowance is paid)
- Willing to travel, with flexibility around working hours
HOURS OF WORK
Standard office hours are 8.30am – 4.30pm with a 30 minute lunch break, Monday to Friday. Office hours may vary in accordance with job requirements and with the approval of the Company Directors.
22 days per year + 3 days at Christmas + birthday off.
Pension scheme, breakfast on Mondays. Time off in lieu given on an agreed basis / when relevant. Travel within the UK or overseas when attending events. Regular social events.